[FFmpeg-user] Meaning of key/values in output of progress option

Konrad Reiche konrad.reiche at gmail.com
Thu Jul 21 19:00:29 EEST 2016

Hi,

the -progress [URI] options allows to post progress metadata to an
endpoint. The output roughly correlates with the one printed to stderr
in verbose mode of ffmpeg:

8f
frame=91
fps=0.0
stream_0_0_q=23.0
total_size=205437
out_time_ms=4388571
out_time=00:00:04.388571
dup_frames=1
drop_frames=0
progress=continue

Where can I learn about the meaning of the key/value pairs produced
there? Is this documented somewhere. Apparently the q stands for
quantizer of the codec?

I am specifically interested about speed and progress/time.

What can I learn from these values? I need this for monitoring purposes
of the health/quality of the running ffmpeg transcoding. Should I look
at any other values?

Best,
Konrad