[FFmpeg-user] Extracting frames from 59.94 FPS video - only every other frame is different

Moritz Barsnick barsnick at gmx.net
Mon Dec 4 15:25:35 EET 2017

On Mon, Dec 04, 2017 at 13:28:06 +0100, Carl Eugen Hoyos wrote:
> > "decimate" filter, but from its description, it can achieve
> > what you require: Dropping "nearly identical" frames.
>
> The releveant filter is called "mpdecimate":
> https://ffmpeg.org/ffmpeg-filters.html#mpdecimate
>
> The decimate filter is (part of) an inverse telecine filter
> and has a different purpose (the important words in the
> description being "at regular intervals" as opposed to
> "whenever a frame is duplicated").

Oh, indeed! Sorry. I should pay more attention to actually reading the
documentation I quote here. D'uh.

Moritz

P.S.: I must try that filter again. Actually, looking at it more
      precisely, I probably tried to use the decimate filter for
      whatever I tried to achieve. Grrr. But its intent isn't totally
      clear (to me) from the docs.