[FFmpeg-user] Sending Patches to the Dev List

Jon bae jonbae77 at gmail.com
Thu Dec 7 11:33:47 EET 2017

> On 2017-12-07 00:08, Jon bae wrote:
>
> Hello,
>>
>> on Monday I send a little patch for the *vf_blackdetect.c* filter to the
>> dev list, but I don't got any response. I don't wanted to sound impatient,
>> I just want to know that I did everything right.
>>
>> One thing is to, that my patch is not shown here:
>> https://patchwork.ffmpeg.org/project/ffmpeg/list/ so I though maybe I did
>> something wrong.
>>
>> For generating the patch I use *git format-patch, *send-mail is not
>> working
>> on my computer, so I send the patch as an attachment.
>>
>> I send the patch from gmail, is this a problem?
>>
>> Is there something specific, I need to know about sending the patch per
>> mail? (yes I read the page step 6: Submitting patches).
>>
>> This was the Mail:
>> http://ffmpeg.org/pipermail/ffmpeg-devel/2017-December/221698.html
>>
>> Jonathon:
>
> Welcome to ffmpeg! Thank you for taking the time to create a patch and
> help make the software better.
>
> You are asking this question on the ffmpeg-user list, but patches are
> handled on the ffmpeg-devel list. Are you subscribed to
> ffmpeg-devel at ffmpeg.org?  That is recommended; see <
> http://ffmpeg.org/developer.html#Documentation_002fOther>, heading about
> "ffmpeg-devel".  If you are subscribed to the list, you can be sure that
> your patch came through intact.
>
> You might get better answers on the ffmpeg-devel list, because it is about
> patches. ffmpeg-user is about using ffmpeg, which is a different topic.

Hello Jim,
thanks for your replay! I had the intension that people on den devel list a
very busy and I don't wanted to budder them with this question, but next
time I will write directly to it.

> I see three messages from you about "Patch vf_blackdetect" to ffmpeg-devel:
> [1] <http://ffmpeg.org/pipermail/ffmpeg-devel/2017-December/221689.html>
> "Here's a patch"
> [2] <http://ffmpeg.org/pipermail/ffmpeg-devel/2017-December/221698.html>
> "Here's a patch which works"
> [3] <http://ffmpeg.org/pipermail/ffmpeg-devel/2017-December/221691.html>
> "Please forget the last patch"
>
> I can imagine someone reading these three messages and thinking, this
> patch isn't ready.

Yes your are right, this is not optimal. [3] belongs to [1]. I don't now
the option "--in-reply-to", I think git have automatically add it.

> When you have a new patch, it's good to include "v2" (or "v3", "v4", as
> necessary) in the patch summary to indicate version 2, 3, 4 of the patch.
>
> Also, use the --in-reply-to option of git format-patch to specify the
> Message-Id of the message with the previous version of the patch. This
> makes your new patch a child of the previous patch in the list message
> thread.  You did that with [2], so maybe you know about this option.
>
> Just to check: did you recompile ffmpeg with your patch?  Did you run all
> the FATE tests?

Yes I recompile ffmpeg on OSX and Windows and both works. I try a fate test
on Windows, but it has not work, it hangs on a other file, not on my one. I
will try it again on OSX, but I think the change is so little, that it have
no impact.