[FFmpeg-user] Sending Patches to the Dev List

Lou Logan lou at lrcd.com
Thu Dec 7 22:31:34 EET 2017

On Wed, Dec 6, 2017, at 11:08 PM, Jon bae wrote:
> Hello,
>
> on Monday I send a little patch for the *vf_blackdetect.c* filter to the
> dev list, but I don't got any response. I don't wanted to sound
> impatient,
> I just want to know that I did everything right.

My only suggestion is to use a more descriptive subject next time (just
copy it from your patch).

ffmpeg-devel has a good amount of incoming patches and it's  not
uncommon for developers to forget or miss submissions. As Gyan mentioned
consider replying to your message with "ping" as a reminder on
occassion.

The author of blackdetect is no longer active so it is up to others to
step in and decide to review.

> For generating the patch I use *git format-patch, *send-mail is not
> working
> on my computer, so I send the patch as an attachment.

Using "git format-patch" and attaching is just fine. We know that not
everyone is able or willing to setup "git send-email" (and it took me
some time to get off of my ass and do so).