[FFmpeg-user] H.265/HEVC for Premiere Pro compatibility

Moritz Barsnick barsnick at gmx.net
Wed Mar 29 01:47:26 EEST 2017

On Tue, Mar 28, 2017 at 12:00:43 -0600, Chris Colton wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 28, 2017 at 11:38 AM, Paul B Mahol <onemda at gmail.com> wrote:

> > Yes, I have an idea? Why you are asking Premiere question in FFmpeg
> > mailing list?

> I'm asking a Premiere question here because FFmpeg's implementation of HEVC
> is the only form of HEVC I've ever tried that hasn't automatically worked
> in Premiere. With FFmpeg you have the ability to fine tune commands to such
> a great extent that I was hoping someone could help with the problem.

No, honestly, it seems to be an issue which only manifests itself with
Premiere Pro. Why not ask there?

Furthermore, "Pro" implies "Professional", which means it was made
either by or for "professionals", i.e. people who earn their living
with this. To make things worse, you probably even paid for that
software, and it likely even advertises H.265 support. I think you
deserve to get an answer from them as to what their requirements are
towards an H.265 file.

Everything else is just guesswork or reverse engineering.

Welcome here anyway, if ffmpeg can help to work around Premiere Pro's
shortcomings. ;) (Not saying it couldn't be an ffmpeg issue. Let's
see.)

Moritz