[FFmpeg-user] Command being killed in perceptual hashing / ffmpeg in general

Carl Eugen Hoyos ceffmpeg at gmail.com
Fri Oct 20 01:46:01 EEST 2017

>> Does it make sense to use the signature filter on two files with very different length?
>
> The purpose for which I am using the script is to compare two files for similar content, the shorter of which I believe is a partial dupe of the longer.
>
> Andrew Weaver has written an interesting blog on the subject: https://ndsr.americanarchive.org/2017/04/20/adventures-in-perceptual-hashing/

(Given that kind people provide current binaries, the link to the
extremely complicated build page does not seem useful.)

> Up until now I've been generating and comparing checksums, but the perceptual hashing script would definitely enhance our archival workflow.

Allow me to repeat my question (the blog is a little long and as said
above its links do not make it more credible):
Does it - in general - make sense to compare two files of (very)
different length with perceptual hashing?
You definitely have found a bug but I still find it interesting if the
issue you reported happens for a real-world
use-case or only for pathological cases.

In general, OOM can happen with FFmpeg and real-world use cases so
while we try to avoid huge
memory allocations they may not be avoidable (this is not true in your
case though afaict).

Carl Eugen