[FFmpeg-user] Matroska Container, FFV1 Codec and GPU Encoding

Kieran O Leary kieran.o.leary at gmail.com
Thu Sep 14 12:02:12 EEST 2017

Hi Sebastian,

On Thu, Sep 14, 2017 at 9:50 AM, Wilk, Sebastian <
Sebastian.Wilk at stud.hs-coburg.de> wrote:

> If I want to encode videos using the matroskacontainer (mkv) and the FFV1
> codec, am I limited to CPU only or can GPUs be used as well?

As far as I know, yes. In the Irish Film Institute, we mostly use FFV1/MKV
as a preservation format for SD tape migrations, and FFV1 is really fast at
encoding and decoding these files via CPU. However, we are also
investigating using FFV1/MKV for 2K/4K RGB film scans, and the speeds
obviously drop quite a bit. GPU acceleration would definitely help a lot.

> I checked the manufactures specs and googled to my heart's content but
> wasn't able to find a proper answer.

Did you find the CELLAR mailing list in your travels? I'd recommend signing
up as the process of standardising MKV/FFV1 with IETF is documented here
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/cellar - it would possibly be worth
starting a discussion there about GPU encoding/decoding.

Best,

Kieran.