[FFmpeg-user] FFplay network stream with low latency

Carl Eugen Hoyos ceffmpeg at gmail.com
Fri Aug 3 11:09:53 EEST 2018

> I’m trying to use ffplay with a network stream from netcat.
> It’s raw h.264, 1280x720, 30fps.

Are you sure about the framerate?
If it really is 30fps and FFmpeg reports it as 25fps, then you
need a filter chain to speed playback up, "-r" only works with
ffmpeg, see the documentation for setpts:
https://ffmpeg.org/ffmpeg-filters.html#setpts_002c-asetpts

> When I play it with ffplay, there is about 10 seconds
> latency over the LAN. Is there any way to reduce this?
> I’ve tried -probesize 32 and —fflags nobuffer.

You can also test -analyzeduration.

> I notice it plays at 25fps, so maybe that’s part of the problem.
> I can’t figure out how to force the rate to 30.

I wonder if the ten seconds are the start value for the
latency that increases over time.

And please test current FFmpeg git head, nothing else is
supported here.

Carl Eugen