[FFmpeg-user] Change FPS

Carl Eugen Hoyos ceffmpeg at gmail.com
Fri Mar 22 11:52:22 EET 2019

> I have some old super8 films that I want to digitize. For that, I got a
> Volverine Data Film2Digital movie maker. According to their specs, the

I am personally interested: Where you able to compare with this scanner?
https://www.amazon.com/Pacific-Image-Reflecta-Super-Scanner/dp/B076ZRJTV6
Was the price the only reason to choose Film2Digital?

> machine scans frame by frame and generates a video file at 20FPS. However,
> the super8 films that I have were filmed at 18FPS, and I would like to
> generate a final video file at 29.97 FPS for DVD burning.

I believe you want to create a dvd with soft-telecine that contains
(the correct) 18fps content but the dvd player knows how to play it
on ntsc screens.
MEncoder (and probably other software) can do this, FFmpeg does
not support soft-telecine.

> Can someone tell me how to use ffmpeg to do that conversion?

You can use FFmpeg with the "-r" output option or the fps filter to
duplicate frames to change the framerate of a video. This is - imo
- not what you should do to create a dvd from your 18fps video.
You also need either the input option "-r" or the setpts filter to
change the speed of your video.

Carl Eugen