[FFmpeg-user] A systematic effort for documentation? [was: Re: Why is format=rgb24 required after maskedmerge?]

Mark Filipak markfilipak.windows+ffmpeg at gmail.com
Sat Aug 22 10:28:07 EEST 2020

On 08/21/2020 11:20 PM, Jim DeLaHunt wrote:
-snip-
> There is a great need for a glossary. It should be structured so that each term has an anchor,
> allowing references from anywhere in the documentation to the glossary. My nomination for entries:
> "fps", "GOP", "PTS", "time base".
-snip-

I have been working on a glossary for a very long time that includes all those and much more, and in
which each and every element of a program stream has a clear, unambiguous structure definition sans
implied relations (e.g. 'this' implies 'that') and sans vague references to metadata (e.g. a frame
is a thing that metadata defines as a frame). I've worked my way deeply into the streams and am
currently resolving macroblock internals [1]. The problem I'm encountering is that in order to
create clear, unambiguous definitions, I have had to create names for differing things that
currently have the same names that differ based on 'context' (which sucks), and that I suspect will
raise much controversy. For example, the word "frame" is applied to a great number of things that
are not frames -- I have created several unique 'sample-sets' that cover the variant frames, fields,
and scans. For example, the word "picture" is applied to so-called 'progressive' sample-sets, to
hard telecined, concurrent "field pictures" (which I call "half-pictures"), and even to successive
fields (which I call "scans"). In my effort, I've tried very hard to not change too much of the
current nomenclature.

[1] I've discovered that "interlace" applies not to lines on a display, but to samples within blocks
within macroblocks. There are several interlace schemes and I'm defining each of them via easy to
understand diagrams that simultaneously show how they are stored and traversed in-buffer versus
where they wind up in slices on the display. While attempting to understand what ffmpeg developers
mean when they refer to "interlace", I now appreciate that looking at top-level metadata in stream
headers is futile -- they are not directly related. Without a "look" into how blocks and macroblocks
are structured, one will never understand what ffmpeg developers say regarding "interlace".

Mark.