[FFmpeg-user] Seeking VOB metadata

Moritz Barsnick barsnick at gmx.net
Thu Feb 6 12:39:55 EET 2020

On Wed, Feb 05, 2020 at 20:37:27 -0500, Mark Filipak wrote:
> > $ ffmpeg -i input -vf filter1,metadata=mode=print -f null -
>
> I assume that the words in your suggested command line are all
> replaceable tokens because in the filters documentation

No, not really. The "metadata=mode=print" was meant literally, as it
was the filter I mentioned above.

> "filter1" not found.
> ".metadata" not found.
> "mode" not found.
> "print" not found.

"filter1" on the other hand was an example for a preceding filter in
the filter chain, which creates metadata to be processed or displayed.

From your final remarks in your previous thread, I thought you had
wanted to access the metadata created by the idet filter.

> (https://ffmpeg.org/ffmpeg-bitstream-filters.html)...

Bitstream filters are not filters, in your sense. Sorry for the
confusion. Check the regular filters' documentation:

https://ffmpeg.org/ffmpeg-filters.html#metadata_002c-ametadata

> It sure would be nice if ffmpeg documentation had a search function.

I know my way around ffmpeg, and even I use a search engine once in a
while, just because I'm lazy. ;-)

> I'd tried google advanced search of 'https://ffmpeg.org' for a variety
> of metadata parameter names and got links to source code
> (ffmpeg.org/doxygen) but not links to documentation.

That should actually work just fine.
Google "ffmpeg filter metadata"
It brings up this interesting ffmpeg wiki entry:
https://trac.ffmpeg.org/wiki/FilteringGuide#FilterMetadata
which also links directly to the filter's page, as I quoted above (but
found without Google).

> Could you give me a push?

There's also a documentation page which contains all the sub-pages.
Quite handy for searching with Ctrl+F in your browser:
https://ffmpeg.org/ffmpeg-all.html

Good luck,
Moritz