[FFmpeg-user] What is 'yuv420p(tv, smpte170m, progressive)'?

Mark Filipak markfilipak.windows+ffmpeg at gmail.com
Wed May 20 02:09:37 EEST 2020

On 05/19/2020 05:50 PM, Carl Eugen Hoyos wrote:
> Am Di., 19. Mai 2020 um 21:22 Uhr schrieb Mark Filipak
> <markfilipak.windows+ffmpeg at gmail.com>:
>
>>> while "progressive" can theoretically be interlaced (or hard
>>> telecined) it is very unlikely.
>>
>> That statement seems contrary to the MPEG standard.
>
> I have already explained to you that when we use term "interlaced",
> this is not related to the MPEG standard (note to interested readers:
> There is no "MPEG standard").

Like almost everyone, rather than pay Swiss francs, I downloaded ITU-T H.262
(https://www.itu.int/rec/T-REC-H.262) which is the free version of ISO/IEC 13818-2 and is the only
part of interest (and that includes detailed descriptions of the differences between H.262 and
ISO/IEC 13818-2). The quotations I previously listed are from ITU-T H.262.

Nonetheless, the Motion Picture Experts Group certainly seems to think it has standards
(https://mpeg.chiariglione.org/who-we-are):
"Welcome to the ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC 29/WG 11 web site also know as MPEG, the Moving Picture Experts
Group. The MPEG acronym is also used to indicate a suite of ISO/IEC digital media standards
developed by this JTC 1 Working Group."

ISO/IEC 13818-1:2019 (https://www.iso.org/standard/75928.html)
Information technology — Generic coding of moving pictures and associated audio information — Part
1: Systems

ISO/IEC 13818-2:2013 (https://www.iso.org/standard/61152.html)
Information technology — Generic coding of moving pictures and associated audio information — Part
2: Video

ISO/IEC 13818-3:1998 (https://www.iso.org/standard/26797.html)
Information technology — Generic coding of moving pictures and associated audio information — Part
3: Audio

ISO/IEC 13818-4:2004 (https://www.iso.org/standard/40092.html)
Information technology — Generic coding of moving pictures and associated audio information — Part
4: Conformance testing

ISO/IEC TR 13818-5:2005 (https://www.iso.org/standard/39486.html)
Information technology — Generic coding of moving pictures and associated audio information — Part
5: Software simulation

ISO/IEC 13818-6:1998 (https://www.iso.org/standard/25039.html)
Information technology — Generic coding of moving pictures and associated audio information — Part
6: Extensions for DSM-CC

ISO/IEC 13818-7:2006 (https://www.iso.org/standard/43345.html)
Information technology — Generic coding of moving pictures and associated audio information — Part
7: Advanced Audio Coding (AAC)

ISO/IEC 13818-9:1996 (https://www.iso.org/standard/25434.html)
Information technology — Generic coding of moving pictures and associated audio information — Part
9: Extension for real time interface for systems decoders

ISO/IEC 13818-10:1999 (https://www.iso.org/standard/27044.html)
Information technology — Generic coding of moving pictures and associated audio information — Part
10: Conformance extensions for Digital Storage Media Command and Control (DSM-CC)

ISO/IEC 13818-11:2004 (https://www.iso.org/standard/37680.html)
Information technology — Generic coding of moving pictures and associated audio information — Part
11: IPMP on MPEG-2 systems