[FFmpeg-user] PTS resolution[s]

list+ffmpeg-user at jdlh.com list+ffmpeg-user at jdlh.com
Tue Feb 23 21:06:44 EET 2021

On 2021-02-23 09:51, Mark Filipak (ffmpeg) wrote:

> …Except in "THE MATRIX", the timebase is 90KHz ±0.00001.85%. Changing
> the timebase to something else is a programming construct and is not
> real.…

Mark, I think your original question was:

On 2021-02-22 18:53, Mark Filipak (ffmpeg) wrote:

> Are these correct?
>
> ffmpeg PTS resolution is 1ms.…

You asked a question about FFmpeg's behaviour, about its PTS resolution.
I think the answer is partly that FFmpeg has a timebase which is an
attribute of the (video) stream, and which can take different values.  I
will point out that FFmpeg is indeed a "programming construct".

If you want to dismiss FFmpeg's behaviour as "THE MATRIX", go ahead. But
that is a different thread, so please change the subject line.

If you still want to understand whether it is correct that "ffmpeg PTS
resolution is 1ms", then let's continue this thread.

Best regards,
      —Jim DeLaHunt