[FFmpeg-user] PTS resolution[s]

Mark Filipak (ffmpeg) markfilipak at bog.us
Tue Feb 23 22:43:28 EET 2021

On 2021-02-23 14:06, list+ffmpeg-user at jdlh.com wrote:
> On 2021-02-23 09:51, Mark Filipak (ffmpeg) wrote:
>
>> …Except in "THE MATRIX", the timebase is 90KHz ±0.00001.85%. Changing the timebase to something
>> else is a programming construct and is not real.…
>

> Mark, I think your original question was:
>
> On 2021-02-22 18:53, Mark Filipak (ffmpeg) wrote:
>
>> Are these correct?
>>
>> ffmpeg PTS resolution is 1ms.…
>

> You asked a question about FFmpeg's behaviour, about its PTS resolution. I think the answer is
> partly that FFmpeg has a timebase which is an attribute of the (video) stream, and which can take
> different values.  I will point out that FFmpeg is indeed a "programming construct".
>
> If you want to dismiss FFmpeg's behaviour as "THE MATRIX", go ahead. ...

I regret that my input appears dismissive. I do not intend that. I no more dismiss ffmpeg than I
dismiss self-driving cars or space probes that smack into the Moon because some programmer got the
units wrong. All programs are "THE MATRIX". All programs are artificial. The trick is to make
programs that model reality so that they can be real assists.

>... But that is a different thread,
> so please change the subject line.

The subject line? What would you like me to change "PTS resolution" to?

> If you still want to understand whether it is correct that "ffmpeg PTS resolution is 1ms", then
> let's continue this thread.

That's up to you, Jim.

--
In the 1970s, a year at Ohio State Univ = 1 month of minimum wage earnings.
In the 2020s, a year at Ohio State Univ = 1+ year of minimum wage earnings.