[FFmpeg-user] Failing to get basic hardware acceleration working.

Harry Will fredflatsone at gmail.com
Mon Nov 8 08:33:07 EET 2021

Hello,

I'm running FFMpeg Windos build from gyan.dev, in particular:

ffmpeg version 2021-11-03-git-08a501946f-full_build-www.gyan.dev

I've got a NVidia GTX 560, which is running the latest possible driver
391.35. I also have a NVidia GTX 1060 running the latest possible driver
496.49.

No matter what I do I cannot seem to get FFMpeg to use hardware
acceleration. As per the wiki page
(https://trac.ffmpeg.org/wiki/HWAccelIntro), I'm using the command:

ffmpeg -i input -c:v h264_nvenc -profile high444p -pixel_format yuv444p
-preset default output.mp4

This produces the output:

[h264 @ 0000015275e66600] Cannot load cuvidGetDecodeStatus
[h264 @ 0000015275e66600] Failed loading nvcuvid.
[h264 @ 0000015275e66600] Failed setup for format cuda: hwaccel
initialisation returned error.
[h264_nvenc @ 0000015275ac4600] Driver does not support the required
nvenc API version. Required: 11.1 Found: 8.1
[h264_nvenc @ 0000015275ac4600] The minimum required Nvidia driver for
nvenc is 471.41 or newer
Error initializing output stream 0:0 -- Error while opening encoder for
output stream #0:0 - maybe incorrect parameters such as bit_rate, rate,
width or height
Conversion failed!

I'm assuming this is due to the GTX 560 set as device 0, even so if I
attempt to specify the use of device 1, which would appear to be GTX
1060:

ffmpeg -hwaccel_device 1 -hwaccel cuda -i input -c:v h264_nvenc -profile
high444p -pixel_format yuv444p -preset default output.mp4

I recieve the same error. In fact, even following the advice of Gyan
(albeit 5 years old now) to list all GPUs
(https://stackoverflow.com/a/40425932):

ffmpeg -f lavfi -i nullsrc -c:v h264_nvenc -gpu list -f null -

I'm receiving the same error:

[h264_nvenc @ 0000020023f89ec0] Driver does not support the required
nvenc API version. Required: 11.1 Found: 8.1
[h264_nvenc @ 0000020023f89ec0] The minimum required Nvidia driver for
nvenc is 471.41 or newer
Error initializing output stream 0:0 -- Error while opening encoder for
output stream #0:0 - maybe incorrect parameters such as bit_rate, rate,
width or height
Conversion failed!

Am I missing something here?

Thank you!