[FFmpeg-user] Can I set a "wait-timeout" for ffmpeg to not abort a stream download?

Adam Nielsen a.nielsen at shikadi.net
Mon Nov 15 06:27:00 EET 2021

> Some live streams I download from are sometimes interrupted for a short time of
> 1-2 minutes and when I use ffmpeg for download it quits at these occurrences.
>
> Is there some way to enforce the "-t 3800 " argument so it really waits all that
> time if the video stops before aborting the download?
>
> Or else some other argument that can set an idle-timeout value to say 300 s or
> so, such that the video download is not aborted but instead just paused until
> the stream returns or when the -t argument has been reached?

What protocol/URL are the streams you're using?  I have the opposite
problem, where data stops arriving and ffmpeg will sit there for hours
doing nothing, when I want it to exit so I can detect the interruption
in a script and restart it.

I'm wondering whether you're using a TCP connection and it's the TCP
connection that drops out.  In my case it's both UDP and a local V4L2
device, and both those will sit there forever and then resume
immediately if new data eventually arrives.

Cheers,
Adam.