[FFmpeg-user] [EXTERNAL] Re: Video Notation, A Video Lingua Franca

Mark Filipak markfilipak.noreply at gmail.com
Tue Feb 8 23:02:57 EET 2022

On 2022-02-08 15:50, Shupert, Jim via ffmpeg-user wrote:

> [...]

Thanks for your support, Jim.

We're all familiar with pulldown notation, right? We're all familiar with 'shuffleframes' notation,
right? Well, I've generalized and regularized them [note 1] and expanded so-called 'scene change' to
apply to all ffmpeg-style filters (not just certain filters), and turned it all into an
object-oriented notation that, I think, is unlimited in the video structures that it can denote and,
if there was a matching implementation -- in ffmpeg or AviSynth etc. -- unlimited in what it could
do. What it can't do (yet) is VFR (variable frame rate -- streaming).

[note 1] See (look)(firstseen)(seen)(finalseen)(unseen) notation.