[FFmpeg-user] How to reduce interlace artifacts while trancoding to mp4

Ulf Zibis Ulf.Zibis at CoSoCo.de
Sat Nov 12 18:02:55 EET 2022

Am 12.11.22 um 14:41 schrieb Carl Eugen Hoyos:
> https://ffmpeg.org/ffmpeg-filters.html offers a few options:
> kerndeint is old / outdated, should be fast
> yadif was for a long time the most useful deinterlacer
> w3fdif is a BBC-sponsored development
> bwdif claims to combine yadif and w3fdif into something better
> estdif and nnedi are newer filters
>
> All filters will not correct something on the video but will try to
> invent information that simply isn't there. This makes sense as
> there is no screen that can show what originally was meant to
> be shown but you should be aware that all filters effectively
> change your video.

Thanks for your detailed comparison. bwdif and estdif make it. Even they double the frame rate, compression factor now is 10 instead 8 and the visual result is brillant.

With atadenoise=0.08:0.16:0.08:0.16:0.08:0.16 I made it even better, especially in low light sequences.

-Ulf