[Libav-user] newb mp4 question

Alex Cohn alexcohn at netvision.net.il
Thu Oct 6 13:30:19 CEST 2011

On Thu, Oct 6, 2011 at 12:29, Atli Thorbjornsson <atlithorn at gmail.com> wrote:
> Yes, I tried that and it works but software decoding means cpu usage
> is really heavy, not optimal for an app that is supposed to run for a
> while. The same stream running on the native mediaplayer is running
> under 1% on most devices. I tried running with this idea with FFMPEG
> decoders, optimised for neon but have not been able to bring the cpu
> usage far down enough. Probably due to my lack of experience with
> FFMPEG.
>
> Seeing how the Android handles m4a like a champ I jumped on that idea
> but I guess I'll have to go back to libavcodec decoding and see if I
> can't make that work better.
>
> But thanks for chipping in Alex, I'm really impressed by the level of
> helpfulness on this list.
>
> Atli.

You're welcome. Also, I would give a try to
http://code.google.com/p/aacdecoder-android/. And if you can allow
that, use raw .aac for Android 3.1+, as documented in
http://developer.android.com/guide/appendix/media-formats.html.

Finally, you can use stagefright or IOMX to access the hardware
decoder that underlies the MediaPlayer Java class.

Hope this helps,
Alex