[Libav-user] Why does av_seek_frame() not seek to a keyframe?

Don Moir donmoir at comcast.net
Sun Aug 5 18:03:01 CEST 2012

----- Original Message -----
From: "Michael Bradshaw" <mbradshaw at sorensonmedia.com>
To: "This list is about using libavcodec, libavformat, libavutil,libavdevice
and libavfilter." <libav-user at ffmpeg.org>
Sent: Sunday, August 05, 2012 11:09 AM
Subject: Re: [Libav-user] Why does av_seek_frame() not seek to a keyframe?

> On Sun, Aug 5, 2012 at 5:51 AM, Don Moir <donmoir at comcast.net> wrote:
>> I see this has been reported as ticket #1575 but why this is reported as
>> an
>> enhancement and not a bug, god only knows.
>>
>> This should not be a documentation issue and in my way of thinking, its a
>> bug. We don't need gray areas like this and the frustration just gets
>> passed
>> on to everyone.
>
> Yeah, I added a comment a day or two ago to the bug saying that maybe
> it would be better to force seeking without AVSEEK_FLAG_ANY in an mpg
> file to fail. I'll close it as invalid and open a new bug (with the
> status of defect).

> Ok, closed 1575 and opened 1607:
> https://ffmpeg.org/trac/ffmpeg/ticket/1607
>
> Feel free to add any additional input you may have to that ticket.
>
> Thanks,

I think requiring AVSEEK_FLAG_ANY just side tracks the issue and could break
some apps. I added a comment to ticket 1607.

The way it works now is slightly broken and not convienent to work around
but its close. It does seem like it should be more or less busy work to get
it working probably. I say busy work because I think the seek code would
need to be specialized somewhat to work in this case rather then using the
generic seek code. I am guessing a bit.