[Libav-user] Getting to grips with ffmpeg

John Dexter jdxsolutions at gmail.com
Mon Feb 6 03:07:18 CET 2012

On 5 February 2012 18:42, Carl Eugen Hoyos <cehoyos at ag.or.at> wrote:

> Carl Eugen Hoyos <cehoyos at ...> writes:
>
> > The list contains all things you have to do afaict,
> > and some things that really make a lot of sense if you trying
> > to fulfil the requirements of the LGPL (as opposed to trying
> > very hard not to fulfil its concept and getting away with it).
>
> [About http://ffmpeg.org/legal.html ]
> I just saw that above is of course not true for point 2
> (use dynamic linking) but since using static linking makes
> conforming to the LGPL more difficult I think it clearly
> counts as good advice.

That page includes "distribute the ffmpeg source code". IIRC that's *not* a
requirement for LGPL? There is no hidden insult, I am simply remarking a
legal page should clearly differentiate between what is a legal requirement
from the license, and what is considered polite.  If we start adding what
we *want* to what is mandatory, we end up confusing people.