[Libav-user] Extracted I-Frames seems not correct, Why?

Alex Cohn alexcohn at netvision.net.il
Wed May 16 10:31:18 CEST 2012

On Tue, May 15, 2012 at 8:46 AM, Carl Eugen Hoyos <cehoyos at ag.or.at> wrote:

>  <amir.rouhi at ...> writes:
>
> > Would you explain how can i test it with referenced decoder?
> > do you mean , testing by JM software?
>
> Yes, JM is the H264 reference decoder.
>
> > If you mean this, i should say that i have extracted i
> > frames by JM software and they are 4 and same as the number
> > that ffmpeg shows.
>
> Then a bug seems unlikely, don't you agree?

If I understand correctly, Amir complains about the encoder, not the
decoder. Using JM he verified that the I-frames are not sharp, and not
inserted adaptively at big changes of the scene. This is either a problem
of x264 encoder, or of (failing to) specify the correct options for the
encoder via ffmpeg command line.

Sincerely,
Alex Cohn