[Libav-user] Complying with L-GPL license

Phil Turmel philip at turmel.org
Tue Feb 12 14:11:01 CET 2013

On 02/12/2013 06:07 AM, Kalileo wrote:

> On Feb 12, 2013, at 05:03 , Phil Turmel wrote:

[trim /]

>> If you zip up the source and include it in your CD or download
>> every time you publish, you have fulfilled that requirement without
>> stepping on any toes.
>

> And if you would use the precompiled .dll files from
> http://ffmpeg.zeranoe.com/builds/ , how could you practically do
> that?

If you can't comply with the terms of the license, you can't
redistribute.  It's that simple.

Zeranoe is complying with the license by offering the corresponding
source code with his builds.  If you want to redistribute his build,
you'd better grab the source he used each time you download.

If you are redistributing his builds without corresponding source, and
not offering that source to your customers (paid or not), you are
violating the license.  You can only avoid offering it if you included
it in the package with each copy of your app that you distribute.

If still in doubt, consult a lawyer.  I am not a lawyer.

HTH,

Phil