[Libav-user] Using the libav* libraries in a thread-safe manner?

Joe Flowers joe.flowers at nofreewill.com
Wed May 15 17:19:27 CEST 2013

Hello Everyone,

I need to use the libav* APIs (specifically the audio codecs) in a
thread-safe way, but they seem to be full of malloc()s and free()s which
aren't re-entrant.

Does anyone know how to make (enable) the libav* APIs to be thread-safe?
I can't use the command-line utilities provided. I need to make API calls
within my C coding.

Are there flags or initialization and de-allocation procedures I need to
follow in my C code that calls the APIs?

Thanks!

Joe