[Libav-user] Receiving MPEGTS and fifo buffer overflows

Vahid Kowsari vahid at kowsari.com
Thu May 30 17:46:44 CEST 2013

Hi All,

I am working on a piece of code at the moment to receive HD H264 MPEG TS
streams at around 7.5 mbps from a udp multicast.
This code is running inside of ubuntu VM remotely.

I am having problems because no matter what I do I get fifo buffer
overflows after a certain period of time. I have done the following:
1. Increased the the fifo_size, set overrun non fatal
2. Made my avcodec_decode_video2 and my processing of the frame in
different threads and use a queue of frames between them.
3. I tried changing process priorities and set the renice value

I actually dont need to process every frame of the video and it would be
nice if there was a way to make ffmpeg api drop every x frames.

Thanks
Vahid Kowsari
vahid at kowsari.com