[Libav-user] Receiving MPEGTS and fifo buffer overflows

Alex Cohn alexcohn at netvision.net.il
Thu May 30 18:00:28 CEST 2013

On 30 May 2013 18:47, "Vahid Kowsari" <vahid at kowsari.com> wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> I am working on a piece of code at the moment to receive HD H264 MPEG TS
streams at around 7.5 mbps from a udp multicast.
> This code is running inside of ubuntu VM remotely.
>
> I am having problems because no matter what I do I get fifo buffer
overflows after a certain period of time. I have done the following:

Does simple arithmetics suggest that your decoding is slower than input?
Maybe, you should simply use a more powerful machine?

> 1. Increased the the fifo_size, set overrun non fatal
> 2. Made my avcodec_decode_video2 and my processing of the frame in
different threads and use a queue of frames between them.

This could help if processing can be dropped for some frames.

> 3. I tried changing process priorities and set the renice value
>
> I actually dont need to process every frame of the video and it would be
nice if there was a way to make ffmpeg api drop every x frames.
The decoder cannot drop frames unless it can fast-forward to the next IDR
frame.

> Thanks
> Vahid Kowsari
> vahid at kowsari.com