[Libav-user] Rtsp decode black images

Tom Medhurst tom.medhurst at vigilantapps.com
Tue Nov 26 08:05:52 CET 2013

Hi guys,

I'm working on a project that uses FFMPEG to fetch still images from a live RTSP video stream and save them to disk. I am using the assemblies aformat/codec-55.dll and the development headers and libs for compilation from ffmpeg-20131120-git-e502783-win64-dev. The whole project is compiled using Managed C++ (Cpp/cli) .NET 4.0 for 64-bit.

I have spent some time creating a simple demo, which all seems to work well streaming from h.264 to png with the exception of all the images that are saved are plain black. I have pointed my example to an online video stream of Big Buck Bunny:

rtsp://184.72.239.149/vod/mp4:BigBuckBunny_175k.mov

- But the images are always black. Opening the image in notepad++ shows null bytes so I think somewhere the video frames aren't being decoded correctly, or I am doing something silly to wipe out the frame data..?

I have tried various things and followed various examples, though  lot of the tutorials out there are using deprecated methods.

I hate to paste giant blobs of source code, but it's probably the best way; I really need to get this working soon and would be eternally grateful to anyone who can provide some assistance!

Here is the example code:
http://pastebin.com/ziYcWaYX

Many thanks in advance for your time.
Kind regards,