[Libav-user] Problems with ffvhuff and huvvyuv

Alex Cohn alexcohn at netvision.net.il
Wed Oct 16 21:19:25 CEST 2013

On Wed, Oct 16, 2013 at 9:27 PM, James Board <jpboard2 at yahoo.com> wrote:
> The question I mean to ask (maybe I wasn't clear)
> is whether there is anything fundamental to the huffyuv algorithm
> which prevents me from decoding a single frame.

I believe that there may be some variations of the original huffyuv
purely intra-frame encoder algorithm. So the question is how you
generated the source file. If you can prove that the frames are
independent, and/or if there is a tool that allows decoding any frame
in the file independently, this may be an indication that ffmpeg
decoder is not doing its job correctly.

This could be the case, taking into account that it was definitely
developed with the FFv1 in mind, which does have inter-fame
correlations. But until proven guilty, the ffmpeg decoder should be
presumed innocent.

BR,
Alex Cohn