[Libav-user] reduce dll size

Carl Eugen Hoyos cehoyos at ag.or.at
Mon Mar 10 18:39:42 CET 2014

Camera Man <i.like.privacy.too at ...> writes:

> However, the license (LGPL) requires that you let
> user upgrade the library without your help. That is
> usually easy to achieve when you ship .dlls, but
> not as easy when you do static linking. If you use
> a GPL component (e.g. the x264 encoder), you will
> need to make your project GPL as well

You are of course right that it is (slightly) easier
to fullfill the LGPL if you provide dynamic libraries
instead of linking static libraries but we agree that
in both cases it is possible to fullfill the
requirements.
But I wonder now if there is a reason that your next
sentence speaks about the GPL: Don't you agree that it
makes no difference if you link GPL'd libraries
statically or dynamically?

Carl Eugen