[Libav-user] reduce dll size

Don Moir donmoir at comcast.net
Mon Mar 10 19:08:05 CET 2014

----- Original Message -----
From: "Carl Eugen Hoyos" <cehoyos at ag.or.at>
To: <libav-user at ffmpeg.org>
Sent: Monday, March 10, 2014 1:39 PM
Subject: Re: [Libav-user] reduce dll size

> Camera Man <i.like.privacy.too at ...> writes:
>
>> However, the license (LGPL) requires that you let
>> user upgrade the library without your help. That is
>> usually easy to achieve when you ship .dlls, but
>> not as easy when you do static linking. If you use
>> a GPL component (e.g. the x264 encoder), you will
>> need to make your project GPL as well
>
> You are of course right that it is (slightly) easier
> to fullfill the LGPL if you provide dynamic libraries
> instead of linking static libraries but we agree that
> in both cases it is possible to fullfill the
> requirements.

Kind of silly though to allow user to update the ffmpeg libraries. Every time I get new ffmpeg libraries I test it for quite a long
time and not unusual to find something broken or something has changed that leads a break somewhere else. Don't know about you but
things need to work for me and if user is just adhoc changing the libraries then that's a problem.