[Libav-user] motion vectors using FFmpeg gives lots of noise

Taha Ansari mtaha.ansari at gmail.com
Sat Jun 20 08:22:56 CEST 2015

On Fri, Jun 19, 2015 at 4:39 PM, Lyndon Hill <
emptystate-at-yahoo.co.uk at ffmpeg.org> wrote:

> > But the end result is: it is marking stationary places as noise as well
> (random arrows everywhere).
>

> Motion vectors do not have to be the "true" motion.
>
> Your video has large areas of no texture; the motion estimator used by
> your camera codec is finding false matches between blocks of nothing and
> other blocks of nothing.

I see - that's very informative to know. Maybe I need to implement simple
motion detection of my own. As a start I'm thinking of breaking a video
frame in constant blocks (like 16x16 etc) then detect change of pixels
inside each block.

Is this approach right, or do you (or anyone) has some good pointers to
motion detection?

Thanks