[Libav-user] Can not delete video file while program is running

Baris Demiray barisdemiray at gmail.com
Wed Nov 4 09:40:25 CET 2015

> Hello All,
>
> I have a program that the user can start and stop recording video at their
> will.  Each time the user starts recording, the video is saved to a new
> file.  The problem is if the user decides to delete a newly created video
> without shutting down my program first, then he is unable to do so.
> Windows tells the user that my program still has the file open.  Here is my
> code when the user stops recording.
>
> av_write_trailer(m_oc);
>

> avcodec_close(m_videoCodecCTX);
>
> avcodec_close(m_audioCodecCTX);
>
> sws_freeContext(m_video_st.sws_ctx);
>
> avformat_free_context(m_oc);
>
> av_frame_free(&m_videoPicture);
>

> What am I missing?

These are mostly about releasing the memory resources. How do you open the
video file? You may need avio_close() if you used avio_open(), or standard
file closure methods if you're handling it yourself.

Also, AFAIK you don't need keep your conversation context that long, you
can release it right after sws_scale() is done.