[Libav-user] API changes v2.8.x ==> 3.0.x

Ben Woods woodsb02 at gmail.com
Sat Jun 18 21:40:44 CEST 2016

On 18 June 2016 at 17:23, salsaman <salsaman at gmail.com> wrote:

> Creating a migration guide is standard practice when changing the major
> version of a well used library API.
> Is there really no documentation anywhere ? That seems to defeat the
> purpose of providing a usable library.
>
> Code examples only provide solutions for specific implementation details.
>

> Regards,
> Salsaman.

I second that. FreeBSD is still going through the motions of trying to
update numerous open source software packages to use the newest API. And
there are plenty which have not yet done it themselves, and therefore
require manual patching. We use patches from Linux distributions when they
are available, but some are not and we work it out from examples.

I believe that a good API documentation should not just explain what is
available in each version, but what has changed since the last version and
the recommended alternative.

Regards,
Ben