[Libav-user] When learning FFMPEG: What environment to use? - What tutorials to follow?

Jesper Taxbøl jesper at taxboel.dk
Fri May 27 14:21:34 CEST 2016

Hi,

Im on Ubuntu 14.04 LTS, and I have installed FFMPEG via the guide here
https://trac.ffmpeg.org/wiki/CompilationGuide/Ubuntu

The ffmpeg version this process ends up with is: N-80079-g4c82cca

Im trying to learn how to integrate ffmpeg tools into my own application.I
am therefore following the tutorial: "How to Write a Video Player in Less
Than 1000 Lines" availabe at
 http://dranger.com/ffmpeg/

I spent quite a deal of time trying to compile the examples, but finally
made example one and two compile using a makefile with the following lines:

"""
tut01.txt: tutorial01.a
    ./tutorial01.a _1.mp4

tutorial01.a: tutorial01.c
    /usr/bin/g++ -o $@ $< -D_GNU_SOURCE=1 -D_REENTRANT -I/usr/local/include
-I/usr/include/SDL  -pthread -L/usr/local/lib -lavformat -lavcodec
-lswscale -lva-drm -lva-x11 -lva -lxcb-shm -lxcb-xfixes -lxcb-render
-lxcb-shape -lxcb -lXau -lXdmcp -lasound -lpulse-simple -lpulse -lX11
-lXext -lcaca -lx265 -lstdc++ -lrt -lx264 -ldl -lvpx -lpthread -lvorbisenc
-lvorbis -ltheoraenc -ltheoradec -logg -lopus -lmp3lame -lfdk-aac -lass
-lharfbuzz -lfontconfig -lfribidi -lexpat -lfreetype -lpng12 -lz
-lswresample -lavutil -lm -lSDL

"""

I have now successfully run tutorial 1 and 2, but that is as far as I have
got. Example three can build, but there is an audio bug and the remaining
examples are failing with undefined functions etc.

1) What is a recommended platform, environment and setup recommended to
learn ffmpeg?

2) What (working) tutorials or books exist that will walk me through
reading and writing video?

I hope someone can point me in a more fruitfull direction as I have found
development with ffmpeg close to impossible. :(

Kind regards

Jesper