[Libav-user] When learning FFMPEG: What environment to use? - What tutorials to follow?

Adenilson Cavalcanti cavalcantii at gmail.com
Fri May 27 18:23:42 CEST 2016

Dear Jesper

Trust me, I have being there and done that, as many others.... ffmpeg
may be a bit challenging at the beginning but it pays off with power
and performance.

My experience on OSX so far have being pretty easy. Install it with
brew (i.e. brew install ffmpeg) and link it in my project using CMake.

I would consider the idea of using a CMake project instead of having
to link all the libs by hand.

Concerning the tutorial examples, it may be that they are a bit out
dated if you are using ffmpeg 3.0? Did you try using 2.8?

Finally, the best way to learn ffmpeg is, after you finished the
tutorial, by checking the examples that are distributed in the tarball
and searching the web.

The only book available on ffmpeg, IIRC, teaches how to use ffmpeg
from command line but not how to integrate it in your own projects.

Best regards

Adenilson Cavalcanti