[Libav-user] statically linking x264 and x265 into ffmpeg

Carl Eugen Hoyos ceffmpeg at gmail.com
Fri Sep 16 15:42:58 EEST 2016

>> --disable-shared has no effect, --enable-pic generally either has no
>> effect, or an undesirable effect.
>>
>> I am not completely convinced that your extra ld flags would fix the
>> issue for everybody.
>
> mmmh, from what you are saying I might sarcastically (the AE/UE meaning)

I have no idea what AE/UE means.

> ask, what configure flags actually do have an effect? ;)

The ldflags you provided helped on your system (and I don't mean the
path) and for your use-case, I am not convinced they will help everybody
(with similar needs).
(--disable-shared is the default, so using it in your configure line makes
no difference)

> Anyhow, the flags I posted produce static libraries only that contain PIC.
> And that was what I was after.

If --enable-pic really made a difference, you should ask yourself again
(carefully) if that's really what you want.
(Note that enable-pic is the default on x86-64 and cannot be turned off
afair, it hurts on x86-32 and cannot do what people want because
FFmpeg binaries are not position independent on x86-32, no matter
the pic option.)

Carl Eugen