[Libav-user] Encoding to MPEG2 buffer sizing

Jonathan Noble jonnobleuk at gmail.com
Fri Oct 4 20:26:56 EEST 2019

I have had a playaround with ffmpeg to get an understanding of what
rc_buffer_size needs to be set to but that didn't provide much information.
Instead I stepped through ffmpeg and I can see that there are 2 buffers
that need to be set up. 1 is in AVCodecContext, the other is in AVStream,

Setting AVCodecContext->rc_buffer_size seems to have to be done in units of
KB. If i use bits as the unit I see this

> [mpeg2video @ 0x7f3a2c805600] Warning vbv_delay will be set to 0xFFFF
(=VBR) as the specified vbv buffer is too large for the given bitrate!

As for setting the buffer in AVStream, I cannot see how it is done.
mpegenc.c gets the buffer_size in a struct AVCPBProperties using a call to
av_stream_get_side_data.

How does one set the values in AVCPBProperties in the AVStream?