[Libav-user] Decoding with limited CPU power

Simon Brown simon.k.brown at gmail.com
Sun Apr 19 23:56:42 EEST 2020

> But the question was how you compiled FFmpeg.
>
> > I tried skipping frames, but then it had too many errors
>
> Can you reproduce these errors with ffmpeg (the command line interface)?
> (Assuming you tested the skip_frame option)
>
> Carl Eugen
>
> Thank you Carl, and apologies for misinterpreting your request.
I compile FFmpeg using the default configure script and then make, with the
following configure options:
--disable-decoders --disable-encoders --enable-decoder=h264
--enable-decoder=vc1
--enable-decoder=aac --enable-encoder=flv --disable-programs
--enable-encoder=adpcm_swf
--enable-ffmpeg
and then run "make" and "make install".

I haven't tested the ffmpeg skip_frame option but will try that out
tomorrow.  Is there a way of enabling that option within C code and if so,
where?  Is it a codec_context option or a read_frame option?

I have manually got it to skip every other frame (and yes, I know this will
skip I frames from time to time, and is not good), but at least I know the
software keeps up and keeps displaying a picture.

Cheers,
Simon