[FFmpeg-devel] file protocol with Unicode support

Tomas Härdin tomas.hardin at codemill.se
Wed Apr 13 08:25:31 CEST 2011

Kirill Gavrilov skrev 2011-04-12 22:24:
> Hi, I'm newbie here.
>
> No Unicode API in FFmpeg make me very sad (this is important only for
> Windows applications).
> I partially investigate the current i/o and found that creating Unicode
> versions for major functions cause to create the tons of another stuff.
> But I found another 'stupid' way - I define new fileU protocol which assume
> the input path is in utf-8, automatically converts it to the utf16 string
> and use Unicode function to open the file.

All strings in libav* are UTF-8 if I remember correctly. Or at least
supposed to.
The file protocol works fine for UTF-8 paths on Linux based systems last
time I checked. Hence I suggest patching the existing file protocol so
that for WIN32 it does the UTF-8 -> wchar_t conversion etc. Maybe
someone else has a better idea?

/Tomas