[FFmpeg-devel] [RFC] Release plan

Stefano Sabatini stefano.sabatini-lala at poste.it
Tue Apr 19 09:39:04 CEST 2011

I suggest the following plan for releasing:

* release a 0.7 version with the old API/ABI, for people working with
  legacy code. This could be based on the last commit before the big
  bump.

* release a 0.8 with the new API/ABI after the bump, give some time to
  it for reaching some level of stability (one month/some week)

* drop the 0.6.90rc release which broke the releasing scheme used
  since now (0.6.90 != security and minor fixes to the 0.6 branch).

I also suggest to name the 0.7 release "Peace and Love", the next one
could be "Not only codecs" as I proposed the past summer in a talk
with Diego, to stress the fact that FFmpeg is more than just a codec
library and considering the huge work done in other areas not strictly
related to codecs (libavutil, libavformat, libavfilter).

I volunteer to do some of the work involved with releasing stuff (well
maybe I'll need some guidance since this will be the first time).