[FFmpeg-devel] [RFC] Release plan

Michael Niedermayer michaelni at gmx.at
Tue Apr 19 11:17:15 CEST 2011

On Tue, Apr 19, 2011 at 09:39:04AM +0200, Stefano Sabatini wrote:
> I suggest the following plan for releasing:
>
> * release a 0.7 version with the old API/ABI, for people working with
>   legacy code. This could be based on the last commit before the big
>   bump.
>
> * release a 0.8 with the new API/ABI after the bump, give some time to
>   it for reaching some level of stability (one month/some week)
>
> * drop the 0.6.90rc release which broke the releasing scheme used
>   since now (0.6.90 != security and minor fixes to the 0.6 branch).
>
> I also suggest to name the 0.7 release "Peace and Love", the next one
> could be "Not only codecs" as I proposed the past summer in a talk
> with Diego, to stress the fact that FFmpeg is more than just a codec
> library and considering the huge work done in other areas not strictly
> related to codecs (libavutil, libavformat, libavfilter).

Fine with me, its pretty close to what i wanted to do as well ...

> I volunteer to do some of the work involved with releasing stuff (well
> maybe I'll need some guidance since this will be the first time).

Thank you, ill try to make another release candidate for 0.7
if you could help me test it before we put it online this would help

Concerning the gods, I have no means of knowing whether they exist or not
or of what sort they may be, because of the obscurity of the subject, and
the brevity of human life -- Protagoras