[FFmpeg-devel] (trying to be) a voice of reason

Michael Niedermayer michaelni
Mon Mar 14 16:02:32 CET 2011

On Mon, Mar 14, 2011 at 01:48:30PM +0100, Luca Barbato wrote:
> On 03/14/2011 01:14 PM, Nicolas George wrote:
> > Le quartidi 24 vent?se, an CCXIX, Stefano Sabatini a ?crit :
> >> Thanks for taking care to post this, I couldn't agree with you more,
> >> we should avoid to split the project, the consequences for users and
> >> free software multimedia would be catastrophic.
> >
> > Agreed.
> >
> >> A vote at this point seems a reasonable solution, vote should be
> >> anonymous and previously discussed on this list or on some other
> >> public place. Suggestions for setting it up are welcome.
> >
> > For what it's worth, I have asked to a few cryptographers among my friends
> > to point me to voting protocols. That would avoid the need of a trusted
> > third party.
> >

> I considered setting up a vote using civs[1]
> Is somebody willing to set it up?
>
> My proposal for a vote are:
>
> vote for the constituents. Elegible people are active contributors in
> the last 3 years. Given the condorcet property the __no_more_people__
> will be a candidate. People higher than __no_more_people__ will then
> decide by majority what to do next.

This choice is intentionally designed to favor your group.
This is not a fair vote

If you want a fair vote you can pick an existing voting system _UNCHANGED_
of an existing project like debian.

Its not that you shouldnt use gotos but rather that you should write
readable code and code with gotos often but not always is less readable