[FFmpeg-devel] Reintroducing FFmpeg to Debian

Kieran Kunhya kierank at obe.tv
Wed Aug 13 01:53:41 CEST 2014

> Also ive offered my resignation in the past.
> I do still offer to resign from the FFmpeg leader position, if it
> resolves this split between FFmpeg and Libav and make everyone work
> together again. I never understood why people who once where friends
> became mutually so hostile

The big elephant in the room in any discussion about even moving an
iota in the direction of something resembling a resolution is that you
as FFmpeg leader are a hidden leader. Every year at VDD when there is
any informal discussion of any reconciliation as Attila alludes to the
line "we can't get anywhere since Michael isn't here" is uttered and
then everyone moves on.

Things have changed a lot in the 3.5 years since the split but since
you never show your face and because many libav people don't follow
FFmpeg they just imagine conditions to be the same and remember the
same anger that caused all this. Yes there is a lot of anger around
still but meeting in person dampens things.

Lets be honest, Google is definitely FFmpeg home turf, at previous
VDDs there were plenty of FFmpeg people and J-b has offered to pay
your travel/accommodation etc for many years - there is literally
nothing more that they could do beyond hosting a conference at your
home. Every year however, it's always silence when talking about this
to you. I appreciate you may not want to meet people face to face but
if you are seriously interested in moving in the right direction this
is the *ONLY* way forward and I cannot stress this more. I suspect you
won't hear it publicly but it's fair to say that this view is
unanimous on both sides of the fence - if you're physically not there
nothing will change and we'll all have to waste stupid amounts of time
dealing with the current state.

Whatever, people can work on their own code happily but the rest of
the world (cf this thread) has to deal with this annoying FFmpeg/libav
madness. Getting it into Debian isn't going to change much (I get the
feeling some FFmpeg people expect it to be a massive game-changer of
some sort).

(of course this is going to get me lots of angry private messages and
emails like the last set of emails)