[FFmpeg-devel] Reintroducing FFmpeg to Debian

Michael Niedermayer michaelni at gmx.at
Wed Aug 13 00:30:05 CEST 2014

On Tue, Aug 12, 2014 at 09:45:37PM +0200, Attila Kinali wrote:
> On Tue, 12 Aug 2014 10:44:35 -0500
> Joe Neal <vlvtelvis at speakeasy.net> wrote:
>

> > When this happened I scoured the net, including mailing lists from both
> > projects to try and figure out what had happened.  The overwhelming
> > evidence based on mailing list posts, blog posts, forum discussions and
> > pretty much everywhere else I could look all led me to the overwhelming
> > conclusion of what I stated before. This is the only time I've ever
> > seen anything to the contrary stated and I looked good and hard for
> > another side of the story, as have many other people.
>
> Part of the reason for this is that the people around libav decided
> that they didn't want to participate in the mudslinging. Only the most
> blatant lies were refuted and all the name calling was mostly ignored.
> In hindsight that was a mistake.
>
> > I still don't know who is in the right, but at least you've put an end
> > to the weirdness where only one side of the story existed on the net
> > and there was just conspicuous silence on the other.
>
> I'd like to give here a short account on what happend before the split,
> even though this not the right place. I think i should write up something
> longer after my vacations and put it somewhere online.
>
> Before 2011 there were quite a few issues within FFmpeg. Most of those
> revolved around Michael Niedermayer playing by his own set of rules
> and ignoring the advise of everyone else. His behaviour has resulted
> in quite a bit of ... anger.. to put it mildly. A few people left because
> of him. Heck, even i wanted to leave everything that was related to
> FFmpeg in any way, even though all i did was keeping the server running
> and was not involved in the development or anything else at all.

Its a long time ago, but IIRC when i asked about what rules it was
that where broken back then it was a mix of silence and someone who
admited he mixed the rules of FFmpeg up with another project.

Also ive offered my resignation in the past.
I do still offer to resign from the FFmpeg leader position, if it
resolves this split between FFmpeg and Libav and make everyone work
together again. I never understood why people who once where friends
became mutually so hostile

The part i insist on though is that everyone must be able to work
on their code without people uninvolved in that specific parts
maintaince or authorship being able to block their work.

Rewriting code that is poorly written but fully understood is good.
Rewriting code that one doesnt understand is a sign that one is less smart
then the original author, trying to rewrite it will not make it better.