[FFmpeg-devel] Reintroducing FFmpeg to Debian

Stefano Sabatini stefasab at gmail.com
Thu Aug 14 13:58:07 CEST 2014

On date Wednesday 2014-08-13 16:27:20 +0200, Attila Kinali encoded:
> On Wed, 13 Aug 2014 00:30:05 +0200
> Michael Niedermayer <michaelni at gmx.at> wrote:
>
> > I never understood why people who once where friends
> > became mutually so hostile
>
> You should know that better than anyone else!
>
> You still claim to be my friend, yet you said and did things
> that i have not seen from my enemies, let alone from my friends.
> To this day, after 3 years, i still get accused by random people
> of thing i supposedly have done against FFmpeg and the spirit
> of open source. After 3 years i still have to defend myself against
> these baseless attacks!
>
> If you trully want to mend ways, then you and your fellow FFmpeg
> developers should stop this constant spreading of lies, this
> defamation campaing against libav and its developers that has
> been going on for the last 3 and a half years and show at least
> the minimum respect you would show to a stranger you meet on the
> street. Until you do this, i see very little chance for a healthy
> cooperation.

Please refrain from claiming other people are spreading lies,
especially with no specific references (and this is not the place
where to discuss such things).

As for me, I don't consider Libav developers neither friends nor
enemies. We reached a point when we got two different projects with
different policies, culture, and guidelines. Then you should be aware
that the way the Libav fork was created was hostile towards FFmpeg, so
you shouldn't be surprised that there was (and still there is) a
perceived hostility between the two projects. If you or other Libav or
FFmpeg developers want the two projects to collaborate more, this can
be discussed, possibly with *specific* proposals, but again,
debian-devel is not the right place where to discuss such things.
--
FFmpeg = Faithful & Foolish Multipurpose Peaceless Extensive God