[FFmpeg-devel] Include more developers in the voting committee [#3]

Ganesh Ajjanagadde gajjanag at mit.edu
Wed Nov 25 02:30:24 CET 2015

On Tue, Nov 24, 2015 at 6:40 PM, compn <tempn at mi.rr.com> wrote:
> On Tue, 24 Nov 2015 13:47:52 +0100
> wm4 <nfxjfg at googlemail.com> wrote:
>
>> I don't think non-developers
>
> most of the list of people are developers of ffmpeg:
>
> http://git.videolan.org/?p=ffmpeg.git&a=search&h=HEAD&st=author&s=togni
> http://git.videolan.org/?p=ffmpeg.git&a=search&h=HEAD&st=author&s=Strasser
> http://git.videolan.org/?p=ffmpeg.git&a=search&h=HEAD&st=author&s=Coudurier
> http://git.videolan.org/?p=ffmpeg.git&a=search&h=HEAD&st=author&s=clement
> http://git.videolan.org/?p=ffmpeg.git&a=search&h=HEAD&st=author&s=fabrice
> http://git.videolan.org/?p=ffmpeg.git&a=search&h=HEAD&st=author&s=arpi
> http://git.videolan.org/?p=ffmpeg.git&a=search&h=HEAD&st=author&s=kempf
> http://git.videolan.org/?p=ffmpeg.git&a=search&h=HEAD&st=author&s=kieran
> http://git.videolan.org/?p=ffmpeg.git&a=search&h=HEAD&st=author&s=logan
> http://git.videolan.org/?p=ffmpeg.git&a=search&h=HEAD&st=author&s=reimar
> http://git.videolan.org/?p=ffmpeg.git&a=search&h=HEAD&st=author&s=compn
> http://git.videolan.org/?p=ffmpeg.git&a=search&h=HEAD&st=author&s=Nicholson
>
> that leaves nikolay as the only one with zero commits (apologies if i
> missed someone or someone's commits).
>
>>(or developers not actively involved with
>> FFmpeg) should have the right to vote on developer issues.
>
> past developers dont have the right to vote on current developer
> issues? why not?
>
> old developers have no right? is baptiste bad because he works on ffmbc?
> is roberto bad because he works on mplayer? are you bad because you work
> on mpv ? what makes a developer have rights or have no rights?
>
> help convince the fellow developers to your posit, wm4.

It is not that they are bad or anything, they have definitely done
fantastic work which I am pretty sure Ronald or wm4 agrees with. It is
just that they are not active, and hence do not offer much to the
developer decision process today. I think in practice Michael's
suggestion is fine as well: inactive but formerly active developers
will anyway not take part in these votes, so I don't mind either way.

On the other hand, it is also ok to simply not include at the moment,
and if a particular person wishes to be included, we can of course
include them by e.g a vote. Or put in other words, I don't think we
need to go out of the normal "50 commit" or whatever it is for these
other cases - other cases can be included pretty easily anyway.