[FFmpeg-devel] Discussion related to the use of a global thread pool rather than the current threading model

Andrey Turkin andrey.turkin at gmail.com
Fri Jan 8 11:35:02 CET 2016

> I may have misunderstood myself but I believe the
> issue actually only happens on Windows XP;-)

I've encountered this issue a while back when trying to do about 20
simultaneous transcodings with some video filters. It was on a high-end CPU
with a lot of cores so every codec and MT-enabled video filter would spawn
a lot of threads - can't remember exact number but hundreds of them. The
threads' stacks would eat up all of the process' address space causing OOM.
It was on Windows 7, and it's something you probably can call real-world
example. I ended up disabling MT everywhere I can to fix that (which was a
right thing to do anyway since my program was already multithreaded and it
could use all the cores anyway). This thread-pool idea sounds reasonable to
me; more reasonable than 8-16 threads per codec anyway.