[FFmpeg-devel] Discussion related to the use of a global thread pool rather than the current threading model

Michael Niedermayer michael at niedermayer.cc
Fri Jan 8 17:20:33 CET 2016

On Sat, Jan 09, 2016 at 03:10:48AM +1100, Jean-Yves Avenard wrote:
> On 9 January 2016 at 01:22, compn <tempn at mi.rr.com> wrote:
>
> > i think mozilla should share one test page with the hundred elements so
> > that we can see first hand the destruction.
>
> here is a simple one:
> http://people.mozilla.org/~cpearce/stress/
>
> For our test page:
> http://hg.mozilla.org/mozilla-central/raw-file/tip/layout/reftests/webm-video/object-fit-contain-webm-001.html
> it contains 21 tiny videos, but when displayed very quickly with all
> the ones found in
> http://hg.mozilla.org/mozilla-central/raw-file/tip/layout/reftests/webm-video,
> you easily reach > 100 videos.
>

> > does this also happen with webp ? e.g. if all images are vp8 webp and if
> > you used libavcodec to decode them?
>
> we don't support webp, but it would be unlikely as we only need the
> decoder once to get the image. After that it can be shutdown.
>

> > because 100 images would be a real world test, and it would explain why
> > this is needed.
> >
> > i've seen html pages with 100 videos, thats just a forum with a music
> > thread where people post youtube music videos. set forum to display 100
> > posts at a time and thats easily 100 video elements on one page,
> > although of course not playing at the same time.
>
> they are indeed very common.
>
> Even more so in China. Lots of shiny, moving web sites there with
> animated smileys, buttons you name it.

at some low size and duration it would likely become more efficient
to decode the video and store all decoded frames instead of keeping
a decoder instance in memory to repeatly decode & cycle through the
frames

Into a blind darkness they enter who follow after the Ignorance,
they as if into a greater darkness enter who devote themselves
to the Knowledge alone. -- Isha Upanishad