[FFmpeg-devel] Budding developer

Thilo Borgmann thilo.borgmann at mail.de
Thu Nov 22 22:50:04 EET 2018

Am 22.11.18 um 21:17 schrieb Tomas Härdin:
> fre 2018-11-23 klockan 00:58 +0530 skrev Sid Sharma:
>> So I am currently pursuing my degree in computer science but I believe I
>> have a pretty good foundation in C and also know my way around assembly and
>> was wondering if the GSoC is the right place for me or am I aiming too
>> high.
>
> C + asm are certainly very relevant skills

Indeed. There is an easy way to figure out if your knowledge is sufficient -
just pic a topic/patch/whatever and try to submit a fixing patch for the issue.
You will find some ideas at the links Tomas had written.

You can always ask for guidance if in doubt, in the bugtracker or the ML.

>> I am currenty in first year but a super geek. So can you guide me how
>> this  works as I am new to opensource and would like to have a project
>> under my belt. Please let me know if I also have to create a CV for the
>> same.

Nothing alike will be needed. You are just welcome to contribute.

> I don't know how far along the plans for GSoC 2019 are, but if you have
> a project idea you could pitch it. There's also some useful information
> and ideas on the wiki(s):
>
> https://trac.ffmpeg.org/wiki/WikiStart
> https://trac.ffmpeg.org/wiki/SponsoringPrograms/GSoC/2018
> https://wiki.multimedia.cx/index.php/FFmpeg_Summer_Of_Code
> https://wiki.multimedia.cx/index.php/Small_FFmpeg_Tasks
>
> Not all of this may be up to date, and it might not be all of it, but
> it should give an idea at least.

Well all we know is that there will be a GSoC 2019. Nobody knows if FFmpeg gets selected as an org again.
As Tomas said, you can absolutely create your own project proposal like the ones you will find on trac.
Makes little sense before knowing if FFmpeg will participate again, though.

-Thilo