[FFmpeg-user] Help with error: "Non-monotonous DTS in output stream"

Andrey Utkin andrey.krieger.utkin at gmail.com
Tue May 14 12:03:59 CEST 2013

2013/5/14 avirex <avirex112 at hotmail.com>:
> Yes, I am re-streaming an incoming RTMP stream (using librtmp) and pushing
> that out to my own localhost RTMP server.  So actually I am not saving the
> stream.
>
> From the end user perspective, when trying to watch the resultant stream
> coming from my RTMP server, as soon as these messages begin appearing the
> output video begins pausing and getting "stuck" while the audio continues
> flowing.  The problem gets worse and worse until it is unwatchable.

So it (ffmpeg as i understand) discards frames with non-monotonic timestamps.
I'd make something to log all the timestamps into file, to investigate
the pattern and make a strategy. You may need slightly modify ffmpeg
sources for it, if it does not give it to you as is.
You could also use (or add) some option to make ffmpeg exit on such
error, so you could automatically restart it from script.

> The interesting thing is, I have 4 other streams running using the exact
> same ffmpeg binary and coming from the exact same source, but they are not
> exhibiting this behavior at all.  Very odd.

Yes, it's weird. What if it is some "logics" of rtmp server, managing
content sent to particular watcher? Maybe your server inserts
commercials time to time, not for all watchers at once, but on
particular watchers separately?
Good luck fighting!

--
Andrey Utkin